8th – 14th July 2019, University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Vila Real, Portugal
This International Summer University has been created within the topics of the UNESCO Chair on “Geoparks, Sustainable Regional Development and Healthy Lifestyles”, based in a new and multidisciplinary approach towards capacity building on these subjects. As educational offer hosted in the University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (Vila Real, Portugal), this advanced educational and vocational training includes an intensive series of seminars and workshops across one week.
(see Program on https://unescochairutad.wordpress.com/program/).
This broad-spectrum educational initiative will be complemented with a strong practice component through mid-course field trips to Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark, to Estrela Aspiring Geopark, to Alto Douro Wine Region (World Heritage Site), to Meadas range ecological site and to the transboundary historical route of smuggling between Portugal and Spain.
With this Summer University it is intended that participants can experience an innovative practice in which they can confront the theoretical knowledge with concrete realities and good practices in the management of the territories and in the implementation of diverse initiatives, particularly those with local communities’ engagement.
- Provide a broadband training course for students, researchers, managers, staff members and civil servants, among others, on Geoparks and Sustainable Regional Development.
- Create awareness about the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and its 17 Goals and how these can be implemented and developed by the UNESCO territories;
- Discuss the social relevance of the Top 10 Focus Areas of UNESCO Global Geoparks;
- Share and review critically a set of examples about Education, Science and Culture initiatives developed in the UNESCO territories;
- Impart knowledge, know-how and experiences on UNESCO territories and labels management and touristic promotion;
- Debate future perspectives for the development and affirmation of UNESCO territories.
- Discuss the pertinence of conserve and promote the natural and cultural heritage as basis for sustainable development and healthy lifestyles
Due to the strategic location of the city of Vila Real, in the heart of the Alto Douro Wine Region (WHS), it will be possible to offer to the participants of this International Summer University a diverse set of cultural and recreation activities that will allow them to enjoy a unique experience.
The knowledge and recognized pedagogical competence of the experts involved will guarantee the adequate training in the topics that will be addressed.
Organization & Support