The International Summer University on Geoparks, Sustainable Regional Development and Healthy Lifestyles has been created whithin these three topics, based in a new and multidisciplinary approach towards capacity building on these subjects. As educational offer hosted in the University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (Vila Real, Portugal), this advanced educational and vocational training includes an intensive series of seminars and workshops during two weeks (see Program https://unescochairutad.wordpress.com/program/). This broad-spectrum educational initiative will be complemented with a strong practice component through mid-course field trips to Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark, Terras de Cavaleiros UNESCO Global Geopark, Alto Douro Wine Region (World Heritage Site), Prehistoric Rock Art Site in the Côa Valley (World Heritage Site), Meseta Iberica Transboundary Biosphere Reserve, Bisalhães black pottery manufacturing process – UNESCO Intangible Heritage, Natural Park of International Douro and Azibo reservoir protected landscape. To reinforce and diversify the knowledge about UNESCO Global Geoparks reality, a post-course field trip will be offer to visit the following Spanish UNESCO Global Geoparks: Basque Coast, Catalunya Central, Molina y Alto Tajo and Sobrarbe-Pirineos.
With this International Summer University it is intended that participants can experience an innovative practice in which they can confront the theoretical knowledge with concrete realities and good practices in the management of the territories and in the implementation of diverse initiatives, particularly those with local communities’ engagement.
- Provide a broadband training course for students, researchers, managers, staff members and civil servants, among others, on Geoparks, Sustainable Regional Development and Healthy Lifestyles;
- Create awareness about the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and its 17 Goals and how these can be implemented and developed by the UNESCO territories;
- Discuss the social relevance of the Top 10 topics within UNESCO Global Geoparks;
- Share and review critically a set of examples about Education, Science and Culture initiatives developed in the UNESCO territories;
- Impart knowledge, know-how and experiences on UNESCO territories management and touristic promotion;
- Debate future perspectives for the development and affirmation of UNESCO territories.
Due to the strategic location of the city of Vila Real, in the heart of the Alto Douro Wine Region (WHS), it will be possible to offer to the participants of this International Summer University a diverse set of cultural, sports and recreation activities that will allow them to enjoy a unique training experience.
The knowledge and recognized pedagogical competence of the experts involved (doctorates in their overwhelming majority) will guarantee the adequate training in the topics that will be addressed.